Monday, March 1, 2010

Really? Who thinks that is a good idea?

I had coffee with a Mom friend from Alyssa's school this past week, and was treated to quite a revelation. A friend of hers, whose children attend our same school, informed her matter-of-factly that she is teaching her sons to be sneaky.

I'll let that sink in.

Mom of the year award? I think not. Raising dating material for my daughters some day? That would be a no. Permission to tell this Mom she is foolish? Yes please.

Apparently she wants them to be able to do as they please without getting caught at school, and is therefore grooming them in the fine art of 'stealthiness.' Brilliant. Has she no forethought? So, this means that when her sons are in high school sneaking off to get rocked at parties she'll be thrilled that she taught them so well? Or, when one of them gets his girlfriend pregnant she'll expect congratulations on a job well done? Sheesh.

Yes, Mom's of Daughters, this is what we're up against: not just raging hormones and peer influence, but this type of parenting. Mom's of Boys in my life- I'll be seeking the betrothal of your sons to my daughters next week.

I had recently begun praying about the kids that will be coming up with and around my girls in school. Now I'll be adding the parents.

1 comment:

  1. Oh frightening. FRIGHTENING! As a mom of boys I will now be adding "sneaky" onto my list of character traits to squelch. Right underneath "rude" and "stupid" (as in: "That stupid boy made me cry!").

    ReplyDelete