Saturday, June 19, 2010

Grocery Store Friends

For the last couple of years I have been making friends with the workers at my local Walt's. My first Walt's friend was a manager named Bob. From there it was a guy in frozen who ended up referring to me as 'sexy' in front of the man in the pharmacy. I've had to stop being his friend. There's Jim, who loves tennis, is my age, lives at home, and is gay. Rita is a cashier who in her mid 60's works another full time job at a trucking company. When she realized I was pregnant with Anna (I was about 7 months along before she could tell) her eyes lit up and the sweetest expression crossed her face. Dan was employee of the year last year. He just completed his first year at a local community college, and is now in his summer session. He has six brothers and sisters. One of his brothers has severe epilepsy and I can tell immediately when he has been hospitalized again. His Mom is remarried and currently finishing her doctorate; she is the dean of students at ITT. Then there is Joe. I haven't asked his age, but he is old. He walks to work and I often stop to pick him up. The girls are torn between thinking that it's nice of me to do this, and that I'm strange. Joe is a prostate cancer survivor, still has his Boston accent, swears like a sailor, and smells bad. I'm sorry, but he does. He's called me his guardian angel. Today for the first time he heard that I follow Jesus.

You see, my Walt's friendships started out innocently enough, but now I have an ulterior motive: Jesus.

I'd been torn on how and when to speak to Joe about Jesus. Two days ago, when I asked Joe how he was, he said "not so good. " He had fallen and badly bruised his ribs on his right side. He shouldn't have been working as he was unable to even bend over to put a tee in the ground (the man loves golf). But there he was, bagging groceries. I told him I'd send up a prayer for him, he acknowledged it, and I was true to my word. I prayed for fast and complete healing for Joe.

I was at Walt's today and stopped by Joe to check in. I asked how he was and he told me he was much better, every day he is feeling much better. I wasn't surprised, but I was thankful. I told him in no uncertain terms that I had prayed for him and asked Jesus to heal him. He said "Have a direct line do you?" And I said "Well, I have a relationship with him, I know him personally." And he says with a smirk," You talk to him all day?" And I said, "Yes, of course." He gave me a "Good for you." Again he said that he was doing much better and I said "See? Jesus heals." At this point I'm thinking he thinks I'm a nut so I ask him about Father's Day and then we say goodbye.
I'm so glad that I finally had this opportunity today, and I'm hoping more comes of it.

I had a little inroad with Dan today too (it was a good Walt's day!). I found out he and his family are conservative. As he went back to work I threw in a "Dan, I'm so glad to find out that you're conservative, now we can really be friends." He laughed, clearly pleased. For whatever reason, this fact makes me feel like I'll be able to talk to him about Jesus at some point too.

I have loads of other stories based around Walt's. I know, it's weird, but it's kind of my mini-mission field. David Jeremiah reminded me in my devotional today: "One person praying on earth can move angels in heaven." Isn't that a great thought? I am so thankful to have prayer.

3 comments:

  1. This seems to me exactly what Jesus modeled for us. To meet people where they are, show love in whatever place we find ourselves (even Walt's!). I am so inspired by these relationships you have formed and how you are living out the mission that Christ has passed on to us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I love hearing stories like this. We each have our own way of ministering to others and letting His light shine and you are doing exactly that - shining!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh blush. Thank you both, you sweet girls.

    ReplyDelete