Tuesday, April 21, 2009

If I were a doctor

After the fifth night in a row of Anna waking up twice, I woke up this morning knowing I had to take her to the doctor. She's cutting two teeth, but I figured it could be an ear infection. It is. Thankfully I took her in and although I'm sad that she is sick, I'm also glad to have been right for once. I've had her in three times prior to this for what I thought were ear infections. Each time, the doctor tells me the symptoms to watch for, and sends me on my merry, er... irritated and $30 poorer, way. This led me to think about what a Mom like me could really use when I visit the doctors office.

If I were a doctor:
I would have a nurse practitioner in the waiting room. She would check the children's ears and throats for Mom's who aren't quite sure. If the ear/throat is infected you stay. No? Have a nice day!
I would have a waiting room for the healthy completely separate from the waiting room for the sick.
I would offer training with an otoscope. This way parents could check their children's ears themselves if they so desired.
When one child has an ear infection or strep, I would automatically check the siblings' ears and throat. Save that stressed out Mom a little trouble!

Wouldn't those four things be so helpful? Realistic? I don't know, but definitely helpful.

2 comments:

  1. I hearby dub you an honorary doctor and will be sending my children to you from now on. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Medical School Schmedical School- send 'em over. I use lots of peroxide, rubbing alcohol, and am open to alternative medicines... such as windex:)!

    ReplyDelete