Wednesday, November 3, 2010

New Things

Last night we went and picked up our shiny new Acadia.  The first new car we've had in 5 1/2 years.  We picked it out in about a day.  And bought it within 24 hours.  I was too excited to sleep last night.  I just love getting new things.  And a car, weeellll, that's a big new thing. So many buttons to play with. So much horsepower to experiment with.  Six levels of heat on my seat heater, which by the way, should have come with a disclaimer: "Unless you have frozen your behind into a sort of assicle, don't use level 6."

Unfortunately the ride home wasn't quite as fun as it should have been, what with 'the knock' and all.  Yes, my shiny new car had a knock you couldn't ignore.  That's enough to spoil a new purchase.  I had it in to the dealer this morning where they promptly tightened it's loose sway bar, but still!  I just bought the thing last night!  I'm sure it will be fine, after all I did buy the big warranty, but that was a downer.

This major let down in my new car got me thinking about joy and happiness.  New things make me feel happy.  I love going to bed on a Thursday night, when my house is a clean, and I know that the next day I'm going shopping for New Things.  And then it's really fun when I can plan places to go in my New Things.  With a lot of my new things however, the happiness doesn't last.  Don't get me wrong, I really do try to be a grateful person, and I strive to be content with everything the Lord gives, or doesn't, but... when it comes down to it though, happiness just doesn't last.  Joy lasts.  And joy doesn't come from things.  Now true, joy isn't always going to be bursting forth, bubbling out of you.  I remember Richard Wurmbrand talking about when he encountered Russian believers during WWII and they explained to him how there just wasn't any joy in them.  They had been so oppressed and so stripped bare there was nothing left but to cling to the hope of the Lord.  It wasn't mentioned in the book, but I wondered if they were able to choose joy.  Deep down I just know that when push comes to shove, that the Lord will grant me at least some joy in just knowing that I am His, that He has a place waiting for me, and that no one can separate me from His love.  I don't know if I'm strong enough to choose joy in really dire circumstances, but I am certain that He will be faithful to give it.
Car knocks, new things, and joy.  Who'da thought.

"The joy of the Lord is your strength." Nehemiah 8:10

3 comments:

  1. Here Here Stephanie! My oldest is only 2 and already is unrecognizable to the little bundle that came into our lives his very first day. I recently found a little outfit that both the boys wore that I love. It was a purchase I bought years ago at the hope of having kids some day. I could hardly wait the first 3 months of their lives for them to finally be big enough to fit in it. Now it's too small for both. It's only purpose currently is to serve as a reminder of God's faithfulness in keeping His promises. This earth is temporary. It's good to stop and give thanks to the Lord for the things He offers us to make it through to the end. A good reminder at this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for those reflections and that reminder, Steph. It's SO true that I try to make happiness and joy interchangeable when one is just so temporary and fleeting, and the other we do CHOOSE in light of all that our faithful God has already given us. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I am excited to see the new Acadia!
    P.P.S "Assicle" = aaaaaahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete