Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Music

About one week before Halloween I try to start planning for the upcoming seasons of Thanksgiving and Christmas. I find that if I'm not ready by Halloween then I'm already behind. And we can't have that, now can we?

I have this wonderful book by Barbara Rainey, Thanksgiving A Time to Remember. It is beautiful , incredibly well researched, and brilliantly done. The stories in this book will amaze you: the fortitude of the Pilgrims, the Hand of God upon them, the extreme conditions they barely survived, their unwavering faith. You can read about it by clicking on the title above. Even very young children can enjoy it by the clever way in which she wrote it. It came with a CD of Thanksgiving music as well, which I loved, but have lost. I may need to order the book again just to have the CD. I love the idea of having music for Thanksgiving.

Come Ye Thankful People Come
Now Thank We All Our God
We Gather Together
For the Beauty of the Earth

Each of these songs stir up feelings for me. Of fall. Of bounty and harvest. A great sense of appreciation and gratitude to the people who risked everything for the generations yet unknown to them.

Itunes has an eclectic little mixture of songs under the title Thanksgiving Dinner. They aren't exactly worshipful, but they are fun.

Go ahead. Go make your new Itunes playlist. Let me know what you picked!

No comments:

Post a Comment