Monday, February 27, 2012

The Red Plate Tradition

I love traditions.  Yes, it's true they allow me to plan parties, entertain, decorate, and cook which are all some of my favorite things to do.  But they also invoke this whole Family, Cozy, Fun, Familiar feeling for me.  They do seem to mesh well with my love of making people comfortable as well. 

John tells me that it is no wonder our children have blankies, bottles, binkys, loveys etc for so long- I have made them all comfort addicts. 


I'm okay with that. 

They like it.


One of our year round traditions is The Red Plate.


Our plate came with a pen to record the special events we use it for on the back.  I'm not gonna lie to you, the pen kind of stinks.  It doesn't stay on real well which requires that I fill in a few letters here and there every time I wash it.  It's a small price to pay, however, for this wonderful time line...




John grew up using The Red Plate and early on in our marriage we were given one by my sister-in-luv. We bring it out for all sorts of occasions.

Straight A's
Bonuses
Birthdays
Promotions
And sometimes, just because, as evidenced here


"Feb.13, 2012 Daddy is special to us on Valentine's Day."

Our girls have many (and varied) suggestions for when to use the plate.  Holland feels that if she finishes her breakfast and eats all her lunch it is certainly a red plate evening.  Alyssa's idea is much more restrained: straight A's, Birthdays, a special award.  We'll see what Anna thinks of it as she gets older.  For now she just loves any excuse to bring out a fancy plate and light some candles (because lit candles mean blowing out lit candles for a three year old). 

On a sad note.  I have yet to recieve the Red Plate.  And frankly, I am terrified of what the requirement will be for me.  I've had three children.  I've been baptized by immersion. I've completed a 200 hour yoga teacher training program.  Not to mention, I've had several Birthdays. 

Still no Red Plate.

What's a wife and Mom got to do around here? 


Maybe you'd like a Red Plate of your own?  You can find them online at The Red Plate Store.

And if you do begin this fun tradtion, please let me know what it is you do to receive it, won't you?



2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your red plate tradition...I think I've told you this before as you were the first one to introduce me to such loveliness! ;) we have special birthday plates but I love the idea of bringing the plate out to celebrate life, victories and all the noteworthy special moments in between. I think I may even have this red plate "pinned" on one of my Pinterest boards. Can ya tell I'm a fan?! I definitely think this needs to go at the top of my wish list! And girl...you're raising up some fine young little ladies, if you're not "feeling the love" now, just wait! My two sisters and I love to spoil and love on our mama. But I'm sure when we were little, she probably felt like we gave her the "black" plate of ingratitude or the "white" plate of indifference much of the time ;) And, well, when it comes to men, sometimes ya just have to literally spell it out for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have a red plate too... but i don't use it as often as i should. I might just have to break it out now that the kids are bigger. Thanks for the encouragement. And it's totally ok to use the red plate yourself once and a while :)

    ReplyDelete