Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The yum yum yummiest salsa

I LOVE restaurant salsa. Madly. Deeply. Love. And I have been madly trying to duplicate it at home for pretty much forever. I finally stumbled upon a recipe that has the secret. And the secret is not at all what I thought it would be: canned tomatoes. Yes it is. The secret is canned tomatoes. I tweaked the recipe slightly, because that's how I roll.

1 15oz can whole peeled tomatoes
1/4- 1/2 C loose cilantro (depending on how much you like)
1/4 yellow (or sweet) onion
1 clove garlic
jarred jalapenos (yes, I mean jarred) to taste
lime
salt

In a mini chopper (okay, it doesn't have to be a mini chopper, it can be one of those nice big food processors, that I don't have) combine your first four ingredients. Add a good squeeze of lime and some salt, and hold onto your sombrero. It's good. Restaurant good.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, that's pretty much my recipe, too...and so easy to spruce up for a change of pace. You can fry up some corn and add a handful of black beans, or trade in the jal's for chiplotles or poblanos. Now I'm hungry, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, what else are you holding out on me? Those are really really great ideas, that I WILL be trying next time. Yum. I wish I had known you knew the secret all this time.

    ReplyDelete