Sunday, January 15, 2012

Cauliflower. It's the new potato.

When we embraced the South Beach Diet as our lifestyle a few years ago it meant letting go of our love for potatoes.  This is pretty radical thinking for a Dutch girl.  We ate A LOT of potatoes in this house.  With every meal.  And in every form. 

Which is probably why I kind of looked like a potato- sort of round and shapeless. 

Huh.  Glad that's over. 

Shockingly I have given them up and lived to write the tale.  I really don't miss them but there are times that I get a hankerin' for a massive pile of scalloped potatoes.

Enter, cauliflower.  In the South Beach cookbook there is a recipe for 'Surprise Mashed Potatoes' where cauliflower is cooked, mashed, and has cream or milk added to it.  The texture isn't quite the same, but they are pretty good.  This made me think that I might be able to have my scalloped potatoes after all.  It turns out I was right.  I found a great recipe over at LowCarb Luxury.

Scalloped Cauliflower

2 bags frozen cauliflower
1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese, low fat is fine
1 pint heavy whipping cream
2-4 Tbs butter, I don't judge- you can use more if you'd like
white pepper and salt to taste

(This is easily halved and baked in a pie plate)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In your casserole dish layer 1 bag of cauliflower (I don't even bother thawing it), 1/2 the onion, sprinkle with white pepper and salt, dot with 1 Tbs butter, sprinkle 1 Cup shredded cheddar and then repeat.  Finally pour your pint of heavy whipping cream down over the entire thing and bake uncovered for about an hour or until the cheese browns up.

I love this so much that if there is any left I'll serve it on the side of an omelet the next morning.  True Story.

This picture is before it has baked because after it's baked it's pretty much gone so fast that I don't have time to get a picture.  You'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment