Friday, January 20, 2012

Pizza Crust Ala Cauliflower

For about three years now I've been eating pizza tops.  Pizza tops, as in, no crust.  I love pizza but that crust is a no-no for me.  It tastes soooo good but it makes me feel soooo bad.  White carb overload.

Once again Pinterest is responsible for something wonderful in the land of cooking.  Cauliflower pizza crust!  Sounds weird, I know.  But it isn't!  It's good! 

There are a bunch of recipes out there but this is the one I used.  A little time consuming because you are ricing the cauliflower but totally worth it.  I've made whole wheat crusts in the past in an effort to have a more South Beach friendly pizza but they just weren't good.  They turn out really heavy and grainy.  Not so with the cauliflower, I liked it WAY better.  Even John ate it,  and he normally is not a fan of some of my unusual concoctions. 

He ate half my pizza.

Cauliflower Pizza Crust (adapted for drink-eat-smile)
1 large head cauliflower
1 egg, beaten
1 C shredded mozzarella
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic
cooking spray
olive oil, optional

Preheat oven to 450.  Prepare your pizza pan by spraying thoroughly with cooking spray. Remove the stem and leaves from your cauliflower and then chop it into pieces.  Pulse the pieces in a food processor until they are crumbly, don't overdo it or it will turn out pureed instead.  Microwave the riced cauliflower for 8 minutes, don't add water.  Take 1 cup (You will have about 3 cups of cauliflower.  You can make three pizzas right now or save it in the fridge for a week.) of the microwaved cauliflower and add it to your egg, 1 cup of mozzarella, and your seasonings.  Mix the ingredients until well blended.  Place on your pizza pan and form with your hands into a 9in circle.  Lightly brush with olive oil if desired, to help with browning.  Bake for 15 minutes.

Now the fun and creative part: toppings.  I did pizza sauce, thinly sliced onion, mozzarella, Parmesan and pepperoni.  Just make sure your toppings are all precooked because you'll only be melting the cheese now.
Place under the broiler for 3-4 minutes until browned and bubbly.  You could do a super high temp oven as well.
I'm thinking this would be awesome margharita style with fresh moz, tomato, and basil.  Or what about fig, Gorgonzola, and prosciutto (I hate prosciutto raw but adore it crisped up... but that's just me and my issues).  Or what about veggie style- green pepper, black olives, onion.  Ooooo, super six: ham, pepperoni, sausage, mushroom, green pepper, and onion.  Oh yes.  That is happening.
Let me know if you try it and what you think! 

This is what it looks like after it has been riced.

All the ingredients are added and the hot cauliflower is melting the cheese.

Pre-cooked

Go easy on the sauce to prevent it being too soggy.


Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment