Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tip Tuesday

So I'm in a yoga class with my sister in-luv.  I'm borrowing her mat, because she's teaching.  I sweat on her mat.  I go to clean it with the cleaner provided by the studio and she says "Noooooo!  Don't use that stuff!"  Too late.  Now I'm thinking I damaged her mat.  Turns out, she just doesn't want the chemicals.  She hands me a pretty blue bottle which is full of a homemade mat cleaner one of her students made for her.  Not only did it look good it smelled amazing too.

Recently I decided I want a pretty blue bottle filled with pretty smelling mat cleaner.  So I made some.  Here's the recipe:

Distilled water
Witch Hazel
Tea Tree Oil
Any natural oil you like (basically to cover up the tea tree oil smell- blech!),
I used:
lemongrass, 4 drops
lavender, 6 drops
eucalyptus, 2 drops
(sweet orange is nice too)

Find a nice diffuser.  My local health food store happened to have the pretty blue ones!  Use equal parts distilled water and witch hazel.  5 drops of tea tree (for a small bottle) and then a minimum of 4-5 of your nice smelling oil.  Maybe more because you need to cover up the tea tree oil smell.  Which really should have been called "Tar Smell". 

Tea Tree Oil is naturally antimicrobial so it will get rid of germs without chemicals. When you're hot and sweaty you more easily absorb chemicals.  Let's avoid more chemicals, shall we?  Witch hazel is a natural disinfectant.  I chose the kind without any alcohol so as to not dry out the fibers of my mat.

After class spray on your mat and wipe off with a clean cloth or paper towel.  And then give everyone the recipe after they come over to ask what that lovely smell is.

No comments:

Post a Comment