Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chowda'

Okay. I know I say that I love a lot of food and I know it probably seems like an exaggeration but it's not. I really love a lot of food.

But this one I REALLY love.

I found it on Food Gawker, which is basically pinterest for food, and I was pulled in by the beautiful picture.

You can find it at Buns in my Oven.  That's cute, right?

Now, if you've looked at that recipe, you see that it doesn't fit the way we eat. Do you think that stopped me? Nooooooo. These are the situations that heavy whipping cream was made for.

Here's how I fixed it. Dump the potatoes. You don't need them and neither does this chowder. Skip the roux (white flour whisked into a fat) and cut down the amount of corn.

I add the heavy whipping cream at the same time I add the chicken stock. One cup milk, two cups heavy whipping cream to be exact. Then I do one can of corn (drained) plus half a can of creamed corn (not drained) If it does not seem up to the thickness you like you can add the whole can. Just look the other way as you pour it in.

I am not kidding you, this is one of the best things I make now- restaurant quality. Better even.

The toppers make it especially tasty: bacon, chopped green onion, cheese and I make homemade croutons to go on top. Here's how:

Any bread you like, I use a 100% whole wheat Italian bread
Equal parts butter, melted, and olive oil
Fresh pepper and salt
Cut up your bread. Drizzle it thoroughly with your butter olive oil mixture and then season with salt and pepper.
Bake at 400 until browned to your liking.

Lastly, don't ever buy croutons again.


Homemade croutons before they are baked.

Baked and all browned up!

Toppers: crisped up bacon, scallions, and croutons.

Scrumptious.

4 comments:

  1. Look at me! Two for two on the comments! Maybe Blogger isn't totally on my sh** list after all. Thank you ever so much for the recipes! I'm making the chowdah tomorrow and now I will have delicious croutons to go with it! My tummy just growled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO making this this week! Having girls over Friday...this will make for a good lunch to share with friends!:

    ReplyDelete
  3. there's 500 recipes on foodgawker for corn chowder...which one did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so thrilled you girls are as excited about this as me. I ate pretty much the rest of last nights today... And there wasn't a little left;). If you click on Buns in my Oven above it should hopefully take you right to the recipe, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete